Ir al contenido principal

Off Line Tools



Choose Your Own Adventure



To start with, I would like to mention one of my best experiences using Off-line tools inside the classroom. The project is called "Choose Your Own Adventure" and it only requires several Word documents and hyperlinking. (If you want to learn how to hyperlink, visit: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTOkWK8Xec&t=20s

The idea in this lesson is to guide students through the process of writing a “choose your own adventure” story. This type of story is interactive as it allows the reader to make choices for the characters. The format of this text would generally consist of a page of events in which characters come to a point that they can make a choice as to what to do next (i.e. which door to go through, continue or go back, open a chest or leave it alone…). In this type of story, the reader makes the choice for the characters by turning to the appropriate page. For example, to go through the blue door turn to page 29; to go through the red door turn to page 17. In this way, the reader is interacting with the text. This type of story has a variety of endings; the ending that is read depends on the choices that the reader makes for the characters. In this lesson, students will be exposed to this type of story first, then they will go through the steps of writing one of their own. Of course, this story can be printed out and set up similar to a printed book. However, using Microsoft Word, the pages can be hyperlinked, which creates the added thrill of reading the story on the computer. I learnt of this tool attending Multimedia at UTN and Marina Falasca, our teacher, taught us how to work with it. I myself created "The Story of a Tree," which I will soon UPLOAD for you to have a look at. I am quite comfortable with the final product and how my own students reacted to it. 


CD-ROMs



YES. I still use CDs in some of my lessons. Eventhough everything seems to have evolved as regards technology, books still come with a CD attached to them. 
For the typical listening activity, I resort to this "old" tool. I know it is much better to save all the recordings in a flash or, even better, in a cloud but, unfortunately, I don't know how to do that and I am always afraid of losing it all in the cloud. I think that the CLOUD gives me this sense of having things out of your control.


FLASHCARDS


Flashcards inside the classroom increase the students' memory and reduce the effort it takes to study and learn new concepts. They are a naturally-effective, super simple and super-cheap system that all serious hugh-school students should have in their study arsenal and they should practice it regularly any time they need to memorize specific bits of information. https://www.lovethesat.com/flashcards-high-school


Personally, I make them do their own flashcards  at home. I subdivide my classes at the very beginning of the year and, each week, a different group of students is in charge of collecting lexical items covered in class. They have to create their own flashcards using cardbox


POWERPOINT 


This program is uses to prepare presentations. Personally, I encourage my students to prepare their own presentations using this program or any other off line tool so that they can successfully deliver their presentations even when there is no internet connection. 

I have also used it to prepare my own lessons. Sometimes, it is much better to prepare the explanation of a topic on a more dinamic way by delivering  the lesson with a powerpoint presentation that contains loads of visual material and videos, which arouse motivation and prevents apathy and lethargy.

When used effectively, PowerPoint can really enhance teachers and students presentations and it also improves the overall comprehension of students since you can include as many examples as you like.

I also gives you the possibility of saving time in class since the teacher can focus on the class and interact with the students istead of writing on the board, because the text and the entire presentation have already been written. 

Here are some great websites and resources that can give educators great tips on how to use PowerPoint in the classroom effectively and continue to expad the role of presentations in keeping classroom lectures interesting:



https://www.investintech.com/resources/freetools/freepowerpointtemplates/

http://www.actden.com/pp/

https://www.slideshare.net/paulwill/powerpoint-for-teachers

http://www.sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/cte/index.php


BOARD GAMES


I really enjoy introducing board games into my lessons since they make a change from the normal routine and can be easily adapted to cover any grammar topic you are teaching.  They require little preparation (adaptation) 

In my lessons, I use UPWORDS: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1515/upwords

 This game is very similar to Scrabble. Students use their collection of letters to build words on the crossword style grid. Unlike Scrabble, in Upwords players can place letters on top of existing letters to change a word that is already on the board. 













Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Lesson Plan - Assigment 1

Objectives: The students will create an inspirational InfoGraphic that contains a Big Dream that either  expresses their wishes for the future and/of for our society. Their InfoGraphics will be printed as well as published on the corridor walls of the school. The idea behind the project is making the students reflect upon things that they would not question regularly.  The students will invite their parents to read their InfoGraphics once in  the school and they will also help their parents create an account to comment on their InfoGraphics online. The students will work on vocabulary related to dreams, wishes and the needs of our society. They will also work on the following grammar structures: expressing wishes (I wish I…./I would like to).  Setting of the project Age Group: 14-15 years old. The abstraction level that students can reach at the age of fifteen is far much higher than primary students who have not yet developed their abstract...

Online Tools

I've worked with TED Talks for two years. They are a quite appealing way of profiting from technology which stir curiosity and avoid boredom  among your students. Why? Because a TED Talk is a showcase for speakers presenting great, well-formed ideas in under 18 minutes . YES. Just 18 minutes. This short time provides the teacher with the possibility of presenting an interesting idea which has been already approved by experts and has been carefully prepared in order to keep the audience alert throughout the whole session. Since it only demands the audience' attention for a short period of time, it decreases the chances of mind wandering or daydreaming during class.  Some of the benefits of using TED Talks include: introducing a new and surprising idea or invention which your students have not heard of and, even if they have, the arguments behind this idea will probably challenge your students' beliefs and perspectives. Remember that an idea isn't just a story o...

Grammarly Tutorial

GRAMMARLY  Click on  https://www.grammarly.com/  and add this application to Chrome :) Then, create an account through Facebook and add your email address. Click on "Sign Up". Finally, add your passport to Log In... Once you have logged in, click on "New Upload" Then, start typing your text to see how it works... If you type something wrong , you can click on "Assistant and it will instantly spot your grammar mistake... Grammarly is an online instant grammar checker and more, is a wake-up call:  Commas, periods, exclamation points, s pelling, context, confused words, voice, mixed metaphors, unclear comparisons. Grammarly  points to the word or phrase and suggests an alternative, or that you rethink what you’ve written and sigh. Grammarly forces people to think. They think more about what they write. They perish the thought. As writers, students do want to think about every aspect of what they are writi...